Summer is here, so let’s talk about my favorite subject, Margaritas! 🍹
A great way to hydrate this season is by drinking a Hibiscus Margarita. I’m sharing a quick and easy recipe you can make and enjoy in the comfort of your own home.
First, start by making a simple hibiscus syrup. Making your own syrup is super easy and has become increasingly trendy right now. Besides, it’s so much better than buying a processed, flavored-based syrup.
What is hibiscus?
In Spanish, we call it Jamaica, and you have probably seen it at your local taquería as, a red drink dispensed from a barrel jar or soda machine.
To make this delicious cocktail, you can purchase hibiscus as a dried flower at your nearest Mexican grocery store. It has a cranberry-like color and flavor, but much milder and more fragrant than most cranberry drinks. We grew up drinking it like Kool-Aid, with a heavy dose of sugar for sweetness.
Most probably don’t know, but the hibiscus plant has so many health benefits, like decreasing inflammation, blood pressure and it’s great for cholesterol.
Jamaica can enjoyed as a tea, as an iced cold beverage or as a syrup for cocktails. I love it in my margaritas. It’s my way of drinking responsibly in a healthy way. Now kids, you must try this at home!
Yield: 1 cocktail
- 2 oz. tequila
- .5 oz. Grand Marnier
- 1 oz. fresh squeezed lime juice.
- .5 hibiscus syrup (see recipe below)
- In a cocktail shaker add tequila, Grand Marnier, lime juice and hibiscus syrup.
- Shake until well chilled.
- Fill the shaker with ice and shake vigorously for 7-9 seconds until the shaker is well chilled.
- Strain into a glass filled with fresh ice.
- Salted or Sugar rim is an option.
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup hibiscus flowers
- Boil the water, sugar and hibiscus and reduce to half.
- Cool and store. The syrup will hold for a week in the refrigerator.