Yield 4 peppers
- 4 Poblano peppers
- 3-4 qts Canola oil
- 4 oz cheddar, 4oz jack and 4 oz queso fresco
- 4 Eggs
- 4 oz All purpose flour
- 8 toothpicks
- 6qt Dutch oven
- Slotted spoon
- Hand mixer
- Candy thermometer
- Large mixing bowl for egg whites
- Small bowl for yolks
- Add pre-heat to 350 degrees. Use Candy thermometer for accurate temperature reading.
- Turn on stove flame to medium heat and place Poblano peppers directly on flame. Let sit 2-3 minutes per side or until pepper is well charred. Remove peppers and rinse under water, gently rub away any remaining skin. Make a 2-3 inch incision down the side of the pepper and remove seeds.
- In a bowl, mix cheese together. Open peppers and stuff with cheese, leaving room to still close pepper together. Close peppers with a toothpick crosswise. In the mixing bowl crack and separate 4 egg whites and 2 yokes into a separate bowls. In the bowl of 4 egg whites, use a hand mixer to blend egg whites until the form stiff peaks. Add in only 2 egg yokes and mix in gently.
- Take a plate and pour 1 cup flour onto it. Take stuffed pepper and gently roll in flour until coated.
- Next place pepper into egg mixture and coat evenly. Gently place coated pepper in heated oil. Let fry on one side for a few minutes until golden. Use slotted spoon or tongs to roll pepper over to other side and fry until golden.
- Use spoon to remove pepper and place on a plate with paper towels to rest and remove excess oil.
Recipe by Chef Rosie at http://chefrosie.com/chile-relleno/