Chile relleno is a dish that originated in Puebla, Mexico. The dish consists of a roasted poblano chile, stuffed with gooey cheese, meat or sometimes even veggies, then battered and fried until golden and crisp. It’s then topped with the most delicious sauce and is one of the ultimate Mexican comfort foods.
Yield 4 peppers
- 4 Poblano peppers
- 3-4 qts Canola oil
- 4 oz cheddar, 4oz jack and 4 oz queso fresco
- 4 Eggs
- 4 oz All purpose flour
- 8 toothpicks
- 6qt Dutch oven
- Slotted spoon
- Hand mixer
- Candy thermometer
- Large mixing bowl for egg whites
- Small bowl for yolks
- Add pre-heat to 350 degrees. Use Candy thermometer for accurate temperature reading.
- Turn on stove flame to medium heat and place Poblano peppers directly on flame. Let sit 2-3 minutes per side or until pepper is well charred. Remove peppers and rinse under water, gently rub away any remaining skin. Make a 2-3 inch incision down the side of the pepper and remove seeds.
- In a bowl, mix cheese together. Open peppers and stuff with cheese, leaving room to still close pepper together. Close peppers with a toothpick crosswise. In the mixing bowl crack and separate 4 egg whites and 2 yokes into a separate bowls. In the bowl of 4 egg whites, use a hand mixer to blend egg whites until the form stiff peaks. Add in only 2 egg yokes and mix in gently.
- Take a plate and pour 1 cup flour onto it. Take stuffed pepper and gently roll in flour until coated.
- Next place pepper into egg mixture and coat evenly. Gently place coated pepper in heated oil. Let fry on one side for a few minutes until golden. Use slotted spoon or tongs to roll pepper over to other side and fry until golden.
- Use spoon to remove pepper and place on a plate with paper towels to rest and remove excess oil.
Chef Rosie is the award-winning Chef-Owner of Provecho Grill and a two-time winner of the SoCal Chef Open. As a chef and TV personality, she has appeared on Food Network’s Supermarket Stakeout (2019) and The Cooking Channel’s Farmer’s Market Flip (2017).
Chef Rosie is also a contributing columnist for Menifee Buzz and Valley News, recounting her culinary adventures to thousands of readers each week. Through her blog, culinary tours of Mexico, and food & wine events, Chef Rosie leads her readers and guests on an exploration of Mexican cuisine and culture.